Friday, February 10, 2012

WANDERLUST FRIDAY: VIVA ESPANA! (Part 1)


Spain holds a dear place in my heart having lived there for three months after graduate school. Most thought I was crazy setting off for the unknown alone when I should have been looking for a job. I was the only person at graduation that didn't have a position lined up, but I knew what I was doing. Last night, I realized this week is the 5 year anniversary of that monumental leap. It was an amazing time when I learned much about myself, saw many wonderful places (not nearly enough), discovered the world of salsa, developed a love for cafe con leche, met many great people and had my unforgettable first bite of paella. Here are a few of my favorite places......

VALENCIA

This was my view when I walked out of my apartment every day.

The Cathedral

The Plaza de la Virgin at night

The City of the Arts and Sciences

Las Fallas

My favorite building- Banco de Valencia

Las Fallas

Malvarossa Beach


They were hosting the America's Cup while I was there

Carmen barrio- liveliest neighborhood in the old city

Albufera- salt lagoon just outside the city where they grow rice


 Must Do's

1.  Learn the secrets of the perfect cafe con leche
2. Go to a paella & help cook it (this dish is often referred to an event like a barbeque)
3. Start your day with a chocolate croissant 
4. Drive out to Albufura where paella originated
5. Eat a fresh orange (they grow all over the city but don't pick them off the trees...they've been sprayed)
6. Indulge in churros with chocolate
7. Take a break for tapas



Valencia is Spain's 3rd largest city and, in my humble opinion, is a hidden gem on the Mediterranean. Nonexistent are the hordes of tourists as in other cities I visited in Spain. There is a sense of community that one feels there and they have one of the largest festivals in the world, Las Fallas

Las Fallas is one continuous party for 5 days and nights.  The city is taken over by fallas (huge papier-mache sculptures on wood) built by local artists for each neighborhood. Locals often wear a traditional and historical costumes. There are endless processions with crowds spilling into the streets dancing to block music with cuba libres in hand. Valencia considers itself the pyrotechnic capital of the world and each day at 2pm they have a mascleta in the Plaza de Ayuntamiento. For more than 5 minutes the city literally shakes (I once witnessed a window shattering) from deafening explosions of fireworks. 


BARCELONA



When you talk with most people who have traveled to Spain, they light up when they speak of Barcelona. It has some magical effect on those who are fortunate enough to wander it's streets. One can't possibly think of Barcelona without thinking of Antoni Gaudi who was the architect of the amazing buildings seen in these photos.

Sangrada Familia

the ceiling inside- work began in 1882 and is planned to be complete in 2026


View from Tibidabo



Enjoy!
JQ

No comments:

Post a Comment